Honda is delighted to announce details of two significant new arrivals to the off-road racing world: a totally revised CRF450R moto-crosser, and a new enduro racer – the CRF450RX.
A moto-cross benchmark since its introduction in 2002, the CRF450R has been redesigned ‘from the ground-up’ for 2017 under the development theme of ‘Absolute Holeshot’. Honda’s open class moto-crosser has earned a reputation for being the best-handling 450cc moto-crosser available, with strong, useable engine power and a chassis that allows riders of all experience levels to put every drop of that power to good use. For the 2017 year model, the full re-design brings a dose of heavy-hitting top end performance in an even sharper, more rider-friendly overall package.
The new CRF450R features:
- An HRC-inspired power-up engine with an 11% top-end power boost provided by revised cylinder head with greater valve lift, higher compression ratio and new intake giving a straighter pathway into the inlet ports.
- Stronger torque, particularly low down, but right throughout the rpm range, for a 5% improvement in acceleration out of the gate.
- New seventh generation aluminium frame with lower centre of gravity, shorter wheelbase and shorter distance between swingarm pivot and rear wheel, offering unprecedented levels of rear traction.
- Race-kit specification 49mm Showa steel spring front fork.
- Titanium fuel tank, smooth, aerodynamically-efficient plastics and the option of electric starter
“Our focus has been on producing a machine with exceptional engine performance, outstanding traction and a low centre of gravity – to create a 5% improvement in acceleration on the previous model. The phrase underpinning development was ‘Absolute Holeshot’. The CRF450R is already proving its worth in the Japanese MX championship, winning the first five races. We are proud to give this kind of performance to motocross lovers worldwide.”
– Mikio Uchiyama, Large Project Leader for the 17YM CRF450R
Alongside the CRF450R, Honda can now also provide enduro riders with a race-ready machine – the new CRF450RX. Sharing the CRF450R’s new engine and frame package, the CRF450RX has crucial changes to create an uncompromising enduro focus.
- Revised suspension settings for enhanced control.
- Revised PGM-FI settings and an 8.5 litre fuel tank for range of approximately 65km.
- Three revised engine maps, selectable at the handlebar using Honda’s Engine Mode Select Button.
- 18” rear wheel.
- Sidestand and electric start as standard.
“The CRF450RX is a pure, race-ready enduro tool like nothing else Honda has ever made. It uses the greatly improved performance of the brand new CRF450R and we made no sacrifices in producing this ‘RX’ enduro version, which offers something completely new to expert riders everywhere. It is built to win straight from the crate, at the highest level of competition.”
– Mikio Uchiyama, Large Project Leader for the 17YM CRF450RX