Triumph Bonneville – Reborn.
Introducing the all-new 1200cc Thruxton and Thruxton R, both with beautifully imposing and authentic Triumph modern classic sports styling and all the poise, performance, braking and handling to live up to their legendary name.
Powered by the 1200cc ‘high power’ Thruxton spec. engine, with immediate and exciting power delivery, the instant throttle response of Triumph’s next generation ride-by-wire system and a truly thrilling exhaust note. The dedicated chassis and fully uprated suspension deliver stunning handling and agility – and on the Thruxton R, an even higher specification of equipment – taking the ride to the next level.
Both a striking and imposing evolution of the iconic Thruxton racer with the same ‘flat-on-the-tank’ ethos and streamlined sports silhouette. Crafted with styling cues from classic Thruxton’s of the late ’60s and featuring an incredible level of detailing, including a uniquely beautiful new Monza-style filler cap.
The 2016 Thruxton R face to face with an original Thruxton 500 Racer
Of all the members of the new Bonneville family, the new Triumph Thruxton and Thruxton R have the most to live up to. Their name is about as legendary as it gets, even for an icon like the Bonneville. Back in the 1960s and ’70s it was synonymous with Triumph’s racing success across the world and most notably at the Isle of Man TT.
Named after the legendary 500 mile Thruxton endurance race series and the Triumphs that dominated it, and which broke the first 100mph lap at the TT, the Bonneville ‘Thruxton’ racers inspired a generation of teenage café racers and custom special builders.
The Thruxton and Thruxton R are two of the five exciting motorcycles in the new Bonneville family – all with 100% authentic Bonneville character, truly modern capability and performance.
The all-new Thruxton and Thruxton R more than just look the part, they really deliver out on the road too.
The new Thruxton returns the café racer to its heritage performance roots, with all the power – delivered by its 1200cc ‘Thruxton spec’ engine – and the handling, agility and capability to match its imposing and authentic styling.
The more contemporary Thruxton R is equipped to an even higher specification, with Brembo monobloc calipers, Showa big piston forks, Öhlins rear suspension and Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa Tyres.
Together, their uncompromisingly elegant and imposing lines are perfectly matched by the quality of design, detailing, power and performance, and the incorporation of contemporary technology into a ride that’s as poised as it is exhilarating. This combination of head-turning style, spine-tingling performance and unparalleled heritage and character is what makes the new Thurxton’s the real deal and the ultimate modern classic café racers.
New ‘Thruxton’ spec. 1200cc engine
The legendary character of the Thruxton comes to life through the 1200cc ‘high power’ 8 valve, parallel twin Bonneville engine.
This all-new ‘low inertia – high performance’ six-speed engine features a lighter crank, higher compression and unique airbox. With the pinpoint accuracy and instant throttle response of Triumph’s next generation ride-by-wire fuel-injection, fed by authentically styled twin throttle bodies, the Thruxton spec engine delivers a massive peak torque figure of 112Nm at 4950rpm – an amazing 62% more than the previous generation.
Beautifully styled, with a very high level of finish and detailing, the new engine, exhaust and throttle bodies incorporate cues from the original racing Thruxtons, whilst carefully integrating contemporary components to maintain that authentic look.
Behind the new 1200 engines stylish exterior sits a cutting-edge liquid cooling system, carefully integrated to minimise its visual impact whilst achieving cleaner emissions and enhancing fuel efficiency.
The unmistakable sound of a British twin
A pair of new twin upswept exhausts with reverse-megaphone end cans that deliver a thunderous, rich bass exhaust note to match their powerful presence and performance. Finished in chrome on the Thruxton and brushed stainless steel on the Thruxton R.
The new Thruxton chassis and suspension is all about sharp handling that really delivers on its café racer looks. With sporting ergonomics, clip-on bars, fully adjustable suspension and 17inch front wheel, for stunning handling and agility, combined with Triumph’s signature ride dynamic of neutrality, agility and stability, the new Thruxton delivers a truly engaged and thrilling ride.
To deliver the high performance handling dynamic of its sports-orientated focus, the new Thruxton R benefits from cutting-edge chassis components and settings, including:
- Twin floating Brembo discs
- Racing Brembo monobloc callipers
- Brembo master cylinder
- Race bred, fully-adjustable Showa big piston forks
- Fully adjustable Öhlins twin rear shocks
- Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa tyres.
The new Thruxton and Thruxton R feature a full suite of rider-focused technology to deliver advanced control, safety and enhanced rider confidence – sensitively integrated and without compromise to maintain its authentic Bonneville style and character, including:
- ABS Triumphs variable anti-lock braking system bringing a new level of control to the Thruxton and Thruxton R.
- Ride-by-wire, enhancing throttle responsiveness, safety and feel.
- Traction control – taking advantage of the ride-by-wire system, the switchable traction control system optimises the delivery of the Thruxton engine’s amazing torque.
- Slip assist clutch Bringing a lighter touch and feel to the clutch to make it easier to ride, and ride longer.
- Rider modes Linked to the ride-by-wire system the three selectable rider mode options, road, rain and sport, that provide greater control and safety, and, in ‘sport’ mode, a more immediate throttle response.
- LED rear light Built into the classically inspired tail set-up, bringing a distinctive rear light pattern and power efficiency. With an integrated number plate light.
- LED DRL headlight Incorporating the latest in daytime running lights (DRL) that delivers a distinctive signature light pattern and enhance power efficiency for long term durability. (Where legislation allows).
- USB charge socket Headstock mounted USB socket provided so riders can charge up their essential devices.
- Engine immobiliser transponder integrated into the key.
- Stylish twin clocks – feature packed clocks (speedo and rev counter) with beautiful 3D dial faces, cleverly incorporating a digital menu system, including:
- Rider mode setting – road, rain or sport
- Gear position indicator
- Two trip settings
- Service indicator
- Range to empty
- Fuel level, average and current MPG
- Access to turn off traction control and ABS features
- Additionally riders can add accessories which would also then be accessed via the clock display. Including: heated grips and cruise control (available on the Thruxton only).
- Switchgear New elegant switchgear presents simple fingertip controls for easy access to the key features on the new twin clocks.
Café racer styling
With all of the brooding presence and poise of the original Triumph racers, the all-new Thruxton and Thruxton R take the modern classic sports bike to a new level with tighter lines, an imposing stance, and beautiful detailing.
Both feature a unique fuel tank incorporating a ‘flip top’ Monza style cap (a first on any modern production bike), authentic bullet seat and stunning lightweight aluminium bar-end mirrors, wheel rims and swinging arm.
The Thruxton R also features a host of higher quality details with an additional painted seat cowl, amazing polished top yoke, aluminium tank strap and clear anodized aluminium swinging arm.
The Thruxton comes in three exciting colour choices:
- Jet Black
- Pure White, with a black tank stripe
- Competition Green, with a stunning metallic gold tank stripe
The Thruxton R comes two exciting colour choices:
Building your own Thruxton special
The original Thruxton racers inspired a generation of stripped-back and hand built ‘one-off’ café racers. With the launch of the new Bonneville accessories range, featuring over 160 accessories for the Thruxton and Thruxton R alone, it’s never been easier for riders to create their own special. This includes a garage full of custom-inspired parts, including: sculpted cockpit fairing, exhausts from Vance & Hines, rear mudguard removal kit, lower clip-on handlebars and beautiful compact bullet indicators.
To make it easier, Triumph have created a set of three ‘inspiration’ kits to use as the starting point for customers to design their own custom, or to have fitted as a complete set – from the full-on Track Racer kit, to the Café Racer kit and a thrilling Thruxton R performance race kit, specifically developed for closed circuit competition.
The Track Racer inspiration kit
Bringing the final touches to the Thruxton or Thruxton R, the Track Racer
kit features a host of competition-inspired accessories, including:
- Sculpted cockpit fairing with lower clip-on handlebars
- Single painted seat cowl (only for the Thruxton as already standard on Thruxton R)
- Rear mudguard removal kit with compact light
- Compact LED Indicators
- Vance & Hines slip on silencers
- Knurled handlebar grips
- Leather tank strap.
The Café Racer inspiration kit
Bringing the full-on café racer style to the Thruxton of Thruxton R, including:
Rear mudguard removal kit with compact light
- Vance & Hines exhausts
- Lower clip-on handlebars
- Short tinted Fly-screen
- Compact LED Indicators
- Single painted seat cowl (only for the Thruxton as standard already on Thruxton R)
- Signature Triumph rubber knee pads
- Knurled handlebar grips
- Leather tank strap
Please note that availability of the Vance & Hines silencers, rear mudguard removal kits and indicators are governed by local market legislation.
And for the very first time…
Performance race kit for the Thruxton R
In 2016 we will launch a unique Triumph race kit only for the Thruxton R, that’s been specifically designed and developed for competition use and closed circuit racing.
The Factory Race kit will take the standard engine performance to an even higher level, with more power, torque and lower overall weight.
With more performance, more poise and more pedigree, the new Bonneville Thruxton and Thruxton R are the real deal – modern classic sports bikes with ultra-authentic café racer styling, a serious engine and the handling capability to live up to their legendary name.
The legend is back